We've all done it. We either used to live alone or comfortable clothing simply trumped how we dressed at home. Ever since I got married, living with somebody, especially a guy, makes me want to dress better at home. Long gone are the sweatpants and baggy t-shirts.
Instead, I've traded up with leggings or skinny jeans for sweats, minnetonka boots (for slippers) and flash dance inspired american apparel tops for baggy tees. I am the first person to admit, the second I am home, off come the clothes and on come the comfy stuff. I hate being "dressed up" inside my house. Cat hair, dog hair and wrinkles would muss up my nice things. Instead I like to change into "hang around the house" outfits. Which used to be horrendous. OK, maybe not horrible but I definitely wouldn't be caught dead in them outside of my house.
As Lorelai Gilmore used to say, "Would you be caught wearing that if the cops pulled you over?" If the answer is a blatant no, don't wear it outside of the house. haha! ;)
Some options to mix up your laid back style at home into something a little bit cuter and stylish- without giving up the comfort.
1. Sundresses instead of gym shorts and tees (still comfortable but cute)
2. Tucked in blouses (lightweight cottons) with well fitting jeans. You can still wear the slippers. ;)
3. Pajama sets (cute ones with shorts and camisole tops) with a Victoria's Secret robe- for the early mornings.
4. Your work out clothes (especially yoga pants and racer back tanks with neon nikes) can work at home too.
5. Jeans instead of sweats. Think skinny jeans, boot cut or even bell bottoms- all pair well with a chunky knit sweater or cardigan.
6. The little white dress or little black dress, all comfortable options, when cotton.
7. Hats, rings and statement necklaces. Accessories always dress up a look. Even a plain white t-shirt and jeans.
8. Always keep your nails painted. It's my motto anyway. ;)
9. If you don't want to wear makeup- try tinted moisturizers, setting powder, concealer and lip gloss.
10. A smile and a bright attitude. Nobody cares about your clothing if you're happy! :)
Remember: baggy = no. Well fitting = yes. ;)