Scarves: How to Buy and Wear These Closet Classics
The right scarf can make or break a woman’s look.
In fact, the closer you wear a scarf to your face, the more impact that it has.
Whether these decorative pieces of cloth are worn around the wrist, neck, and shoulders, or wrapped around the head, you can use the following tips and tricks to make a style statement with your favorite scarves.
Types of Scarves
· Shawl wraps: The long and voluminous scarves provide instant drama for a special event or a night out on the town. Whether you choose one made of merino wool or pashmina, these scarves function as lightweight outerwear when you are transitioning your wardrobe from summer to fall.
· Neckerchiefs: These accessories are not just for cowboys in the Wild West. At 21-inches long, these square pieces of fabric are easy to tie -- and they aren’t bulky on a small or large frame. You can tie them once and let the ends drape along your shoulder, or tuck them into your dress shirt for a more polished look.
· Oblong scarves: The best ways to wear these scarves are to tuck them into jackets or wear them loosely draped over your shoulders to accessorize dressy and casual tops or jackets. When an oblong scarf is tied perfectly, they create a flattering V-line on the wearer’s body that draws the eyes up and in, while adding visual interest to your look.
How to Wear Your Scarves
Scarves are always in fashion, but how you wear them depends on your mood, your sense of style and the occasion. Here are simple tips to incorporate these stylish accessories into your existing wardrobe items.
1. An oblong scarf in silk, cashmere or wool looks chic when you fold it in two and drape it around your shoulders or neck.
2. Scarves featuring decorative flourishes around the border -- or origami folds along the width of the fabric -- are perfect accents when worn with a little black or blue dress.
3. The French are legendary for their scarf-tying abilities. By wearing a classic Chanel, Hermes or other legendary silk scarf around your ponytail, tied to your handbag or around your head à la Jackie O, this look telegraphs understated elegance and sartorial sophistication.
4. If you are a tall woman, you can wear any style scarf from long to short. Petite women, however, should stick to small styles that won’t overwhelm their diminutive frames.
5. The experts at Oprah.com recommend buying a long scarf to give the appearance of length around the neck, while a short scarf will draw attention to problem areas around the face and décolletage.
6. For a classic daytime look, tie an elegant scarf around your neck, and for an evening event, a long pashmina scarf worn around your shoulders will complement any style dress – from long to short.
7. Loop a rectangle or square-shaped scarf once around your neck, and tie the ends loosely into the lapels of your jacket.
8. Bright scarves worn as a shawl can create a fresh summer or winter look. From a wool scarf to a bright silk one worn as a neckerchief -- they can work with any style type, from chic to bohemian.
I personally look forward to Fall just for the chance to play with and layer a variety of scarves into my outfits. Luckily, with so many colors, prints and fabrics made available to us, scarves can now be worn in the Spring and Summer too. One could quickly fill up a good portion of their closet with said accessory. Which is actually quite the easy feat, if you're into "collecting things" like me.
How do you wear your scarves and what colors and styles are your favorite? Tell me, I'd love to know. :)